Road Safety Officer – Milton Keynes
Salary Range: £23,866 – £28,221
Hours: 37 Hours, Full Time
Location: Milton Keynes
Closing Date: 03/12/2018
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you’re looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.
Role Description – Road Safety Officer
This role is within the Community team and is responsible for supporting the Community infrastructure manager. It demands frequent formal and informal liaison with team members, external partners and stakeholders.
It requires participation in the formulation , implementation and monitoring of road safety strategies, policies, programmes, plans and other documents at a local, regional and national level for the council. The role will be responsible for managing the School Crossing Patrol Service and liaise with the departmental financial officer.
It provides reports relating to road safety projects and programmes so that senior management and project programme board have relevant information to enable effective decision making on programmes and projects.
• To work in partnership across parishes, police, fire and other partner organisations to lead, develop and implement road safety initiatives such as Speedwatch
• To prepare relevant sections of the Local Transport Plan for the Council in line with Government guidance and where necessary arrange for production of periodic monitoring and progress reports.
• To provide recommendations regarding road safety scheme requirements as they relate to policy issues
• To lead and deliver the development of innovative road safety education and publicity campaigns and event proposals, which deliver the Road safety strategy objectives.
• To prepare road safety business cases in line with relevant guidance to support funding.
• To ensure that senior management, partners and stakeholders are advised of ongoing road safety schemes and initiatives at national and local level.
• To manage the preparation and production of programme and project reports consistent with the wider reporting requirements of the council.
Support officers within the transport department in obtaining and preparing project and programme data.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
• Knowledge of Road Safety policy at National, Regional and Sub-Regional Level.
• Qualification in a related subject up to degree level or equivalent
• Detailed knowledge & understanding of road safety related school and school travel issues.
• Knowledge of and ability to apply project management techniques.
• Knowledge of road safety principles and an understanding of the issues and sensitivities surrounding the delivery of an extensive road safety programme.
•Ability to write reports on complex Road Safety issues and the ability to present them to a range of audiences, from the general public to fellow transport practitioners.
• Proficient IT skills in the use of Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint and Access.
• Knowledge and experience of managing a School Crossing Patrol and an understanding of the issues and sensitivities surrounding the delivery of this service.
• Knowledge of Road Safety Audit objectives, principles and procedures and the ability to apply these to Highways development and changes.
• Eligible to be a full member of a relevant professional body (e.g. CILT, ICE, IHT)
Departmental Benefits of this role
• Dynamic and supportive environment to work in.
• Ability to contribute positively
Milton Keynes Council Benefits
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment packagesuch as:
• Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates.
• A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years.
• Option to buy more annual leave.
• A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
• Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management.
• Flexibility – with full time, part time and term time working options.
• Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage.
• MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
Closing date for receipt of applications: 03 December 2018
For further details and to apply, please visit and upload your CV and covering letter on the Milton Keynes Council Careers website
At Milton Keynes Council we take great pride in our Community and we hope that you can help us grow and share our vision.