Drivers advised to follow blue light tyre example
A FOI request has shown that, on average, the emergency services change their vehicle tyres when the tread depth reaches 2.74mm, more than a millimetre above the legal requirement.
The freedom of information (FOI) request, by the tyre retailer Kwik Fit, was made to every police force, fire and rescue service and ambulance service in the UK - with 95% responding.
The findings show that just 16% of the UK’s ‘blue-light’ services allow the tyres on their emergency vehicle fleets to go below 2.5mm of tread, despite them remaining legal to 1.6mm. 73% change their vehicles tyres at a tread depth of between 2.6mm and 3mm.
10% of emergency services go further, changing vehicle tyres between 3.1 and 3.5mm (6%) and 3.6 and 4mm (4%).
Kwik Fit also found that two thirds (67%) have a formal policy in place, while the remainder (33%) have an ‘accepted practice’.
Kwik Fit has described the findings as ‘very encouraging’ and is calling on motorists to ‘follow the blue light’, pointing to data which it says shows that 12% of drivers ‘never check their tyre tread depth’.
Roger Griggs, Kwik Fit communications director, said: “The emergency services have the highest standards when it comes to safety and this is something all motorists should be trying to replicate.
“Checking tyre tread depth is often forgotten by motorists, yet it has a vital role in safety as our tyres are the only thing in contact with the road.
“Our research has shown that the emergency services uniformly change their vehicle tyres at a much earlier point than the legal limit as a tyre’s performance starts to deteriorate well before it becomes illegal.
“When on a ‘blue light’ call our emergency services cannot compromise on safety, but we don’t think any other motorist should either, whether it’s a motorway run or just a trip to the shops.”
Photo: Kwik Fit via Twitter
New website includes members’ portal and info on training courses etc
Apply for Corporate Membership of Road Safety GB
Road Safety campaigns, research, data and help forum
The 2017 National Road Safety Conference
For more info and to register to attend click here...
Project EDWARD - 21 September 2017
For more info click here...
AROUND THE WEB
In the fast lane
For the Volvo Group, managing speed is one of the basics of traffic safety, but there’s more to it than just staying within the speed limits.
Mobile phone penalties double - but will it be an effective deterrent?
Edward Seaman, assistant editor of Road Safety News, reviews the change in legislation and its potential to influence behaviour.
The driving test trial
The findings of a DVSA trial, conducted with the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL), released to coincide with the new driving test changes.
Highways England's vehicle checks campaign
Click here to subscribe for weekly news alert