The latest road safety news in brief:
- 2017 Fleet Safety Awards – finalists revealed (19 July)
- Event to bring together Humberside’s road safety practitioners (19 July)
- Average motor premiums rise to record high in 2017 (18 July)
- Motorists using social media to ‘break to boredom‘ (17 July)
Click here to read the road safety news in brief from the week commencing 10 July.
19 Jul: 14.30
2017 Fleet Safety Awards – finalists revealed
Brake has unveiled the finalists of its 2017 Fleet Safety Awards – a scheme that recognises efforts to reduce road crashes involving at-work drivers.
More than 70 organisations are shortlisted across 15 awards’ categories, with hte ceremony taking being held in Birmingham on 28 September.
The finalists include large organisations including FedEX, Royal Mail Group, and British Gas, and smaller companies including TMJ Interiors, AbbVie and Reflex.
A number of local authorities – including Glasgow City Council and Gateshead Council – also feature on the shortlist.
Katie Shephard, development director, at Brake, says: “Congratulations to all organisations who have been shortlisted. The standard was exceptionally high this year and we’re looking forward to working with our external judges to select some well deserving winners.”
Click here to view the full shortlist.
Organised by Humberside Fire & Rescue, the Road Safety Practitioners’ Event will take place at the KCOM Stadium on 7 September.
The event will focus on two areas: partnership working – how partnerships can be taken to the next level; and older drivers – the challenges of an ageing population.
Humberside Fire & Rescue is still looking for speakers on either subject.
Fore more info, contact Dale Turrell, road safety team leader, via email or on 01482 399067.
TUESDAY 18 JULY
18 Jul: 14.45
Average motor premiums rise to record high in 2017
Average motor premiums have gone up by £48 compared with this time last year, hitting a new record high of £484, new data has suggested.
The figure, taken from the Association of British Insurers’ (ABI) Motor Premium Tracker, is an 11% increase on 2016, around four times the rate of inflation – and the biggest year-on-year rise since the ABI began tracking premiums for private cars in 2012.
The ABI Motor Premium Tracker is the ‘only published measure of the actual premiums paid by customers, rather than quotes’. The figures suggest:
- The average price paid for private comprehensive motor insurance was £484 for the second quarter of 2017, an increase of £22 (4.8%) on the first quarter of the year when average premiums were £462.
- The increase of 11% (£48) compared with the second quarter of 2016, when average premiums were £436, is the fastest year on year rise ever recorded.
The ABI says that the rapid increase follows the recent Government decision to ‘drastically cut’ the personal injury Discount Rate. The ABI also points to the fact that Insurance Premium Tax went up from 10% to 12% on the 1 June this year.
Huw Evans, director general of the ABI, said: “This dramatic increase drives home how important it is the Government press ahead with a new framework for the Discount Rate and call a stop to further hikes in Insurance Premium Tax.
“The UK is one of the most competitive motor insurance markets in the world, but the unprecedented increase in claims costs is driving up prices to record levels. Most younger and older drivers are likely to face increases even higher than this, hurting people who can least afford it.
“Worryingly these increases are unlikely to be the end of the road if reinsurance premiums go up at the end of the year, adding further costs to insurers.”
MONDAY 17 JULY
17 Jul: 12.15
Motorists using social media to ‘break to boredom’
Motorists are using social media to ‘break the boredom’ while driving, even with passengers in the car, the results of a recent survey have suggested.
The survey, conducted by Mindspace Mayo and Mayo County Council, suggests that boredom, as well as compulsion, are among the top reasons motorists use their mobile phones to access social media at the wheel.
84% of respondents to the survey believe using the mobile phone while driving is dangerous, however more than 40% admitted to using the mobile phone while driving .
72% of respondents expressed the view that they would not be comfortable as a passenger if the driver was using the mobile phone.
As a result, Mayo County Council is asking young people to think twice before they get into a car where there could be a risk to their lives.
Noel Gibbons, road safety officer, said: “It is scary. With most of these apps that drivers are so eager to use when driving, you need to actually handle the phones to use them. With additional functions on smartphones comes additional opportunity for distraction.
“It requires lots of attention – cognitive, physical and visual, putting yourself and other road users at risk. Most drivers don’t use their eyes properly when they’re driving, especially if they’re tired, bored or distracted.”
BECAUSE OF THE ALL-ENCOMPASSING NATURE OF THIS COLUMN WE HAVE DEACTIVATED THE READER COMMENTS FACILITY.