Senior Policy Advisor – Safer Roads Group
Job type: Full Time
Salary: £40,911.00- £45,004
Closing Date: 9/11/2020
Your new role
We have a great opportunity to join the Strategic Safety Team as a Senior Policy Advisor. The role will be to help develop new and existing policy requirements and implement those policies and operating procedures by providing specialist technical advice and guidance and to drive the development of business change that supports delivery of our first imperative of safety and meet our casualty reduction targets
The role will be varied and will include responsibility for a team of internal and external consultancy staff. You will be leading on a number of key projects in relation to safety policy’ including (but not limited to); Implementation and Embedment of the Safe Roads System, undertaking research into mental health and associated KSI collisions and leading on the implementation of Post Collision Fatal Reporting review recommendations. Your excellent communication and collaboration skills will ensure smooth working relationships with internal and external partners to review and create new evidence-based road safety-focused policies, standards and guidance.
What you’ll be leading on
- Developing new interventions to support road safety policy, working with the Department for Transport and other Government Departments as well as the Police and Fire and Rescue Service and other leading road safety charities and organisations.
- Identifying areas of improvement and commissioning new projects to further develop our research and understanding.
- Provide technical guidance to the business on road safety policy and good practice.
- Represent Highways England at meetings and at conferences, seminars and workshops to ensure Highways England views are appropriately represented.
- Manage external expert and consultancy support as appropriate; and act on such advice to ensure objectives are achieved using resulting research to build company intelligence and creative solutions.
To be successful
- Experience of working within a road safety/risk environment.
- Project management experience
- Evidence of strong communication and influencing skills with the ability to represent the organisation externally
- Management experience
- Demonstrable experience of providing technical advice and support policy
- Ability to work collaboratively, with a range of colleagues both in the wider organisation and externally
- Budget and resource management skills
A bit about us
Safety, Engineering and Standards (SES) is an exciting place to work. SES key priorities are to support world class operational delivery and technical advice for our road network, provide support services to lead, enable and innovate in the development of the Strategic Road Network and provide expert advice on matters relating to health and safety If you are looking for a challenging, exhilarating and world class organisation then join one of our dedicated, professional teams leading on technical services, health and safety, sustainability and diversity agendas for Highways England.
Want to know more?
If you would like a copy of the role profile please email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference HIG04201
Interviews are planned for week commencing 30th November 2020.
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.