Seven organisations and interventions have been shortlisted for the 2019 FirstCar Young Driver Road Safety Awards, which will be presented on 1 May at the Young Driver Focus conference.
The FirstCar Young Driver Awards scheme, sponsored by Road Safety Support, was launched in 2015 to reward best practice in road safety and ‘recognise the excellent work of road safety professionals’ in seeking to reduce casualties among young drivers.
For 2019, awards will be presented in the following six categories:
- New Scheme
- Education and Training Initiative
- Partnership Scheme
- Young Driver Media Campaign
- Private Sector Initiative
- Lifetime Achievement Award
The 2019 shortlist has been drawn up by a panel of judges comprising nine road safety specialists with extensive experience, who have selected schemes with ‘clear and measurable aims and objectives, backed by evidence of evaluation’.
The seven shortlisted initiatives and organisations, from which the six award winners will be selected, are:
- 90 Second Life Savers – Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service
- Arrive Alive – Lancashire Road Safety Partnership, Wasted Lives UK and Edge Hill University
- driVR – Safety Cameras Scotland, Police Scotland and Glasgow City Council
- Operation SNAP – GoSafe Wales
- Speed Reduction Programme – Insure the Box
- Too Close For Comfort – Cycling UK
- Who’s Driving You? – New View Consultants Ltd
Click here to read more about each of the shortlisted schemes.
Launching the 2019 awards in December 2018, James Evans, founder of FirstCar, said: “We are delighted with how successful the awards have become and are very keen to recognise all the hard work that goes on in this sector, which is often unrewarded.’’
Emma Kelly, business development and PR manager at Road Safety Support, said: “‘We need innovative projects that are well evidenced and robustly evaluated to help us to reduce collisions involving young road users.
“Partnering with FirstCar via the awards is so important in assisting us to push the boundaries and share new and innovative methods.”
The FirstCar Young Driver Road Safety Awards’ presentation ceremony will form part of Young Driver Focus 2019 which takes place at the Royal Automobile Club in Pall Mall, London on 1 May. Click here for details of delegate fees and to register to attend.