Roadworks put drivers and roadside workers at significant risk, according to research published by the Highways Agency (RoadSafe News).
Key findings of the research highlighted that more than 1,000 people are injured in road works on motorways and trunk roads during a typical year, and that one in 1,000 roadside workers are killed in road works on motorways or trunk roads in England.
The research also highlighted that roadside workers have the 16th most hazardous occupation in the UK.
In response to the report the Highways Agency has developed web-based information services giving the following advice:
• Plan ahead and allow extra journey time.
• Take extra care and keep to the speed limit.
• Get into the correct lane in good time – and avoid switching.
• Concentrate on the road ahead – not the road works.
• Be alert for works traffic leaving or entering the road.
• Keep a safe distance – there could be queues in front.
• Observe all signs – they are there to help you.
Click here to read the full RoadSafe News report. http://www.roadsafe.com/news/article.aspx?article=1338